Ever since I read the child’s book, Galimoto, these handmade wheeled toys have fascinated me. I have three of them, which Jeff brought me from Kenya. They are delightful but obviously were made by adults, probably for the tourist trade.
I’ve seen a number of the little cars on the road, “driven” by young boys who had no doubt made their own from pieces of “found” wire. I thought I’d like to learn to make one myself. Vincent, our cook, found just the right person for me. Chembekezo, a student in Form 1 (9th grade) at Namitembo Secondary School, appeared early one Saturday morning. He had collected leftover wire from a chain link fence his father had built and he had purchased 3 meters of thin copper wire. He brought along a hammer. Chet and I watched as he straightened the wire, pounded it straighter and began shaping the body of what he called a Mercedes. Chet offered piers which would also cut the heavy wire. I cringed as Chembekezo used his teeth to break off pieces of the copper wire. As construction continued on the hood, seats, axles and other small segments, we decided it was more like a 4 wheel drive. When it came time for the wheels he was stuck because we couldn’t find any small plastic bottles that would normally be used. He and Vincent decided that cutting up a pair of old flip-flops was the answer. Chembekezo isn’t satisfied with those wheels and promises to bring some bottles soon. He worked for 6 hours, encouraged and even helped from time to time by several friends who came to check on progress. We settled on a price and I paid with pleasure.
I asked if he would make me a bicycle some day and he agreed. One day later, he knocked on our door on his way to school. He had something wrapped up in plastic. “This is an African bike,” he said. It is a four wheeled vehicle with a person made of fabric scraps sitting in the center. The feet are attached to pedals so that the knees go up and down as the “bike” moves along. Needless to say, I was delighted and it took only seconds to strike a deal. He says he’ll still be making a two-wheeler. Stay tuned!
No comments:
Post a Comment