It was cool this morning. I closed the windows and pulled up a blanket. Visitors who come to Namitembo in the next few months would probably like to have a light jacket or fleece with them. The rains still pound on us occasionally, but the air is definitely dry now. Hand washed clothing dries in one day instead of three. I no longer feel like I am going to be overcome by mildew!
The nursery, and the primary and secondary schools closed for a three week break last Friday. That meant I said good-bye to my students and all of those with whom I’ve become friends. Many of the teachers live right nearby, so I still see them and have been invited to visit some in their homes this week. The trade school had a one week break and is now back in session since it is on a different schedule than the others. Chet is teaching his last classes this week.
It is not vacation time for those on break from school. Instead, everyone is in their garden or field harvesting maize. They pick the ears from the brown stalks when the ears have bent down toward the ground and pack them into 50 kg. bags. These are carried by bicycle or on one’s head back to the house. The ears are dumped on the porch or in a room of the house and the whole family helps to remove the kernels. We found that it takes a callus on your thumb to be at all efficient stripping off the kernels! The kernels are then stored in 50 kg bags inside the house until the family needs to grind them for flour. In Namitembo, that means a trip to the maize mill. In remote villages, people will grind the kernels with mortar and pestle. The harvest seems good this year, so people will probably have enough maize to last until next year without having to suffer through a time of hunger like the one that is just ending. Some will have extra maize and will sell it to provide money for school fees, clothing and medical care.
Our friend, Martha, invited us to her home yesterday to see her guinea pigs, guinea hens, chickens and dogs. She presented us with a small hoe, specially made for us to take home. It’s a treasure!
We have had many negotiations with a local wood carver. At last, we have some specially designed blocks with African animals carved on them for our grandsons. During the process we have been offered carved maps of Africa, stylized African heads, key holders, coasters, bowls, necklaces, bracelets, a model fishing boat, and a plethora of carved animals. These are mostly very beautiful. We bought a few things in addition to the blocks and we have heard as many reasons why we should buy more as the carver could invent. “I must pay school fees for my children.” “I am hungry.” “It is about to rain.” “I must go to Mozambique to buy wood.” “Don’t you have a gift for me, like a T-shirt?” And on, and on. If we said something was too big for our luggage, a smaller version would appear in a couple of days. We have needed to remember that “No.” is a full sentence.
No comments:
Post a Comment