Friday, January 23, 2009

Adventure in a muddy rut

We're glad that we're sitting here in the rectory living room this evening. For awhile, it looked like we surely would be spending the night in a tilting pickup which was stuck, stuck, stuck in a deep rut in the super muddy road. We were returning from Chingale, about 7 km from Namitembo. John was driving, Chet was in the front passenger seat and I was sharing the back seat with a woman and her 5 month old baby, Nancy. The mud is so slippery that we slid back and forth on the road as John tried to navigate around the ruts. Then the wheels were spinning and we were going noplace. To add insult to injury, the rain came pounding down right then. A man came along and tried pushing. Others joined him. John got out to push too. Chet moved into the driver's set. A row of spectators grew from 3 to about 15. After an hour and 15 minutes of spinning wheels, backing up to try to plunge forward, digging with a heavy hoe, placement of rocks and sod and a great deal of huffing and puffing, the truck was able to climb up onto firmer ground. Then the 6 mud covered volunteers plus an equally muddy John climbed into the back of the truck for the rest of the ride back. Though the 6 would have to make their way back on foot, they were anxious to come with us because there had been mention of paying them for their efforts. As we drove, the rain stopped, and then started up again as we drove into the yard. I ran to our house to get money and everyone waited under a porch. They were pretty happy when I pressed bills into their hands with a sincere "Zikomo kwambiri," all except the first fellow who wanted more. John reminded him that he'd already been given more earlier (all John had in his pocket at the time), but it took awhile before he dropped the issue. Then they all wanted dinner. John told them that they had enough money for a good dinner. I took a few more pictures of the muddy bunch and then they headed for home.

I felt a little guilty that I'd been in the back seat the whole time and I wasn't muddy at all. But I'd spent a half hour holding an adorable, sleeping and then smiling baby. Then, I thought to get out the camera. I had the best part of this deal!

Jeff, this one trumps the Toyota adventure at the beach! These ruts are nearly a foot deep. Our planned trip to Zomba tomorrow has been postponed.

No comments:

Post a Comment