January 16, 2009
Standard Two
I arrived as the assembly was beginning and watched from the back. As Standard Two children filed to their room I followed them. I didn’t see their teacher, so I went to the next building to ask the Standard One teacher where she was. They said she wasn’t coming today. In addition, they said that we all needed to go to the Head Master’s office.
We attended a brief faculty meeting and I was introduced to the lady who would be teaching Standard Two. When we got back to the classroom, the children were sitting quietly. I continue to be impressed with their orderly behavior when they are on their own.
It was quite hot and stuffy in the room, not a big surprise considering that 175 childen were in the room. There is only one Standard Two teacher, so they are all taught together. Most kids bring school supplies (a pen or pencil, and an exercise book), which they carry in small backpacks, zip lock plastic bags, cloth bags, and in one case, an old purse. The children keep hold of these things at all times. Some were wearing counters around their necks. Most are made from a bent stick with a string tied across, like a bow, with small pieces of wood or bottle caps strung on. I saw one counter that was made of heavy wire like a galimoto.
Mid morning the radio arrived. It is a heavy-duty wind up one with a label that reads “USAID, from the American people.” Classes can listen to a radio teacher who uses songs, talking and enthusiasm to enrich lessons. Despite extra wire strung from the antenna up over the door, the teacher couldn’t get the station to come in on this day. I had heard it in Standard One the day before. The BBC was loud and clear, but not so the radio teacher.
After the break, the substitute teacher asked me if I’d like to do something with the children. The idea of facing 175 closely packed kids gave me pause, but I’d been watching their superb behavior all morning and I was pretty sure they’d cooperate with me.
I drew an outline of a person on the board, printed Chichewa labels on the left side and English ones on the right.
Mutu Head
Pewa Shoulders
Mawondo Knees
Zala Toes
Mas Eyes
Makutu Ears
Bakamwa Mouth
Mphuno Nose
We did call and response on the English and sang two of the various possible melodies. Then I asked the children to teach me the song in Chichewa. The melody for the Chichewa version just fits the syllables. When we sang, that I’m not sure if they were really shouting, or if that is just the sound that 175 voices make when they sing in unison! We all laughed!
Sunday, January 18, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment